SOAL UJIAN SEKOLAH
MATA PELAJARAN BAHASA INGGRIS PAKET A
TAHUN PELAJARAN 2013 – 2014
- The warning above means …
A. the currents do not endanger lifeguards on duty.
B. the visitors are prohibited to swim on the beach.
C. the visitors are suggested to swim at other place.
D. the lifeguards on duty is on dangerous situation.
Read the text to answer questions 2 and 3
2. Based on the text, Alicia is the … of the competition.
- The text is written to … Alicia for her best achievement.
The text is for questions 4 and 5
- Where was Zafreen when she got the message?
A. at home
B. at school
C. at the funeral
D. in Yogyakarta
- Based on the text, Zafreen and Sharleen are Salmah’s …
The text is for questions 6 – 8
For all the grade 9 students,
Our school is going to have a farewell party next month. The details are as follow:
Date : May 18th – 20th, 2014
Venue : Kampung Daun, Bandung
Fee : Rp. 1.500.000 / person
The registration starts from today until May 1st, 2014. If you register later than the due day, you’ll have to pay more. We look forward to your participations.
- The writer wrote the text to announce the … of the farewell party.
- Why do the students have to register before May 1st, 2014?
A. They must pay more.
B. They will pay according to the fee.
C. They need to confirm with parents.
D. They must meet the student organization.
- “If you register later than the due day …”
The underlined word refers to …
- The writer
- The teachers
- The students
- The grade nine students
The text is for questions 9 – 11
GANDHI SCHOOL, ANCOL
Jl. Pangandaran I/B4 Ancol Barat, Pademangan, Jakarta Utara
March 18th, 2014
We are inviting you to come and join our annual program entitle GANDHI CULINARY CHALLENGE 2014. The event is to challenge parents to collaborate with their children to demonstrate how to cook certain dishes. The details are as follow:
Date : April 10th, 2014
Time : 10 a.m – 1 p.m.
Venue : School Auditorium
Selections of foods:
Indonesian : Semur Ayam, Soto Betawi, Soto Ayam
Western : Spaghetti, macaroni cream cheese, cream soup
Chinese : Ayam Kung Pao, Cap Cay, Sapo Tahu
You will select any one of the foods given and demonstrate how to cook it. Please fill in the registration form if you are joining the event. Contact person: Dalvin Duarte (HP. 08578888643/PIN:7742A0)
Ms. Indah Primasari
- Where will the event be held?
A. at school
B. in the classroom
C. at Gandhi School
D. in the school auditorium
- Why should parents fill the registration form?
A. To prove that they are loyal to school.
B. To confirm that they are joining the event.
C. To show the supervisor that they are good parents.
D. To inform that they are interested in seeing the event.
- “We are inviting you to come and join our annual program …”
The underlined word means … program.
The text is for questions 12 – 14
GANDHI GOES TO YOGYAKARTA
Friday, May 17th, 2014 : Welcome mixer. 8 p.m. Paradise Lounge
Saturday, May 18th, 2014 : Beach Day. 11 a.m. Spinnaker – Nirvana Lounge
Gala Dinner. 7 p.m. Boatyard Restaurant.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU!!!
- In what day can the participants swim during the tour?
A. First day
B. Second day
C. Third day
D. First and second days
- The tour lasts for … days.
- From the text above we know that the second day is the … day for the tour.
The text is for questions 15 – 18
- Why did Zafreen write the email?
A. To describe the Grand Canyon.
B. To tell her visit to the Grand Canyon.
C. To give information about the Grand Canyon.
D. To show how to go to the top of the Grand Canyon.
- Although the mule didn’t run fast, the writer was glad because she didn’t …
A. miss the beautiful sunset.
B. ride it to the top of the canyon.
C. have to hike all the way to the top.
D. buy some presents at the visitors’ centre.
- What does paragraph 3 tell us about?
A. Riding a mule.
B. Reaching the top.
C. Staying overnight.
D. Hiking in the canyon.
- “We started our hike on the South Rim.”
The underlined word refers to …
- the writer
- the receiver
- The writer and her pan pal
The text is for questions 19 – 22
- The text above is written to …
A. describe the details of Aptech Computer Education.
B. advertise Aptech Computer Education to the customers.
C. inform the customers about the Aptech Computer Education.
D. tell the customers about the programs in Aptech Computer Education.
- Based on the text above, we can conclude that the Aptech Computer Education is …
- There are … ways to contact the Aptech Computer Education to get further informations.
- “Get enrolled. Set your course. Go for your dream career.”
The underlined word refers to the…
- readers and writer
The text is for questions 23 – 26
EIGHT STEPS TO OPERATE AN ATM MACHINE
- Insert your card into the ATM and wait about 10-20 seconds until the ATM checks your ATM or Debit card.
- Select a language. Some ATMs will recognize the language of your ATM card for faster service
- Enter your PIN, or Personal Identification Number and press Enter. Press Clear if you make a mistake.
- Select a transaction.
- Allow the screen to show if you wish to obtain a receipt or not. Press Yes or No. It’s smarter to select Yes for future reference.
- Allow your transaction to be processed.
- Wait for the screen to show if you wish to make another transaction. Select Yes if you need to do something else regarding your account at that time, or select No if you’re done.
- Take everything. Double check that you have all of the withdrawn money, your cards, and receipt before turning away from the machine.
- What is the text above about …
A. ATM machine.
B. operating an ATM machine
C. how to operate an ATM machine
D. how to insert the ATM card into the machine.
- We should obtain the receipt for …
A. smarter choice.
B. future reference.
C. ensuring ourselves.
D. getting faster service.
- “Double check that you have all of the withdrawn money …”
The underlined word nearly means …
- “It is smarter to select …”
The underlined word refers to …
- the card
- the machine
- the customer’s choice
- the decision to choose option ‘yes’
The text is for questions 27 – 30
A long time ago in Kahayan Hilir, Central Kalimantan, there was an island named Mintin. The people there lived peacefully. The king, King Mintin, was wise. He loved his people very much. However, the happiness was soon ended. The kingdom was mourning. The queen just passed away. The king was sad and decided to leave the palace and went to another island. He asked his twin sons, Naga and Buaya, to lead the kingdom while he was away.
At first, Naga and Buaya, led the kingdom wisely. They did their father’s advice to them. Unfortunately, it didn’t last long. Naga and Buaya had different personalities. Naga was ignorant to the people and loved parties, while Buaya was very caring and loving to the people. Buaya then asked Naga to stop his bad habits. Naga was very angry. He asked Buaya not to disturb him. Buaya was also angry. He reminded Naga about their father’s advice. “Father is not here! And you are not my father. Why do I have to listen to you?” said Naga. Both of them were angry and couldn’t control themselves. They were fighting. The fight was getting worse and worse and turned into a civil war. It was because the soldiers were involved. The soldiers were divided into two parts; Naga’s and Buaya’s. the Mintin people were suffering great pain. Their peaceful lives were disturbed.
The king finally heard the war. He decided to return back to his palace. When he arrived, he immediately asked his two sons to stop the war. He told them how disappointed he had become. He then cursed Buaya into a crocodile, and Naga into a dragon. They were told to go away from the palace.
Right after the king finished his words, heavy storm attacked Mintin island. Buaya and Naga slowly turned into a crocodile and a dragon.
- What is the text mostly tell us about?
A. The life of the Mintin people.
B. The death of Queen Mintin.
C. The curse of King Mintin.
D. The generous king.
- What made King Mintin leave the palace?
A. Mintin island was in chaos.
B. Twin sons were punished.
C. His twin sons went away.
D. The queen passed away.
- What is the main idea of paragraph 3?
A. Buaya couldn’t control his temper.
B. The anger and curse of the king.
C. The king returned back.
D. The king was cursed.
- What can we learn from the story above?
A. Someone’s kindness is eternal.
B. good children are always willing to help their parents.
C. To avoid a bigger problem, a promise must be kept and obeyed.
D. Parents feel angry if their children cannot show their achievements.
The text is for questions 31 – 34
I think my house is the most comfortable place in the world. It is not very big, but very cozy and quiet. It is the place where my family can relax and find our own spaces. In our home, we really enjoy the relaxing time after school and work. It has a nice and warm living room. There is a beautiful painting of scenery hanging on the wall. In a lower cabinet, you will see the trophies, pictures of my family, small toys and some books.
I am lucky to have a room on my own. I paint the wall olive green. It’s my favorite color. There is a desk on where I do my homework and put a portable radio-tape.
The kitchen is my mom’s authority. She keeps it clean all day. There is a blue kitchen set, combined with red wallpaper.
- What does the text tell us about?
A. My big house.
B. My lovely home.
C. The writer’s sweet room.
D. The writer’s lovely home.
- There are … items displayed in the lower cabinet of the writer’s living room.
- What is the main idea of paragraph two?
A. My lucky room.
B. The writer’s room.
C. My mother’s home.
D. The color of the room.
- “It is not very big, but very cozy and quiet.” (P.1, L.1)
The word ‘it’ in the sentence refers to …
- living room
- the house
The text is for questions 35 – 38
A Trip to Snow Mountains
When my family was living in Sydney, we used to go to a place called Snow Mountain because Sydney never has snow in winter. The weather can get extremely cold and the temperature could go as minus 5 degree celcius, but it’s never snowing. That was the reason why we liked going to Snow Mountains. We went with a group of foreign students from different parts of the world.
We went by bus to Canberra and then we went up to the mountain. Believe me, you need to be an expert driver because the road was rough and wet. We had to go very slowly and cautiously. Luckily, our driver was a real professional. He did a great job taking us to the mountains, but I saw many good cars sliding off the roads. The police were made very busy by those accidents, but they seemed to have anticipated the situations. They had all kinds of equipments to help the poor cars.
When we reached the resort area, a nice warm meal was waiting in a nice and warm dining room. It was a relief. Then, we had to hire “Snow Mountains gear” like caps, scarves, thick jackets and snow boots. We simply had to do that or else we would have been freezing to death. I felt really big and fat in that outfit and I had to learn how to walk in snow.
The most exciting part was the toboggan ride. Toboggan is basically a fiberglass board designed to slide down the snowy slopes. So, I climbed up the hill. It turned out that my steering ropes weren’t tied on correctly, so I could not control my Toboggan properly. I slide down very fast without being able to control where I was going. I ended up plugging into a freezing cold creek.
- What is the purpose of writing the above text?
A. To tell how to go to Snow Mountains.
B. To describe Snow Mountains in Sydney.
C. To share her experience to Snow Mountains.
D. To express the situation at Snow Mountains.
- What does paragraph two tell us about?
A. Kinds of equipments to help the poor cars.
B. A great and professional job of the writer.
C. The situations of the road to the mountains.
D. The busy work of the police at the mountains.
- Why should the driver be professional in driving on the Snow Mountains?
A. Sydney never has snow in winter.
B. The road was very dangerous.
C. The mountain was very cold.
D. The driver had a hard job.
- What made the writer feel interested in visiting Snow Mountains in Sydney?
A. The weather in Sydney and the snow Mounts were very cold.
B. The road to reach the Snow Mounts was very rough and wet.
C. There were foreign students interested in going to the Snow mounts.
D. It’s never snowing although the temperature reached minus 5 degree.
For questions 39, 40 and 41 choose the best word to complete the following text
One day a rabbit was boasting about how fast he could run. He was laughing at the turtle for being so slow. Much to the rabbit’s surprise, the turtle challenged him to a race. The … (39) thought this was a good joke and accepted the challenge. The fox was to be the umpire of the race. As the race began, the rabbit raced way ahead of the turtle, just like everyone thought. The rabbit got to the halfway point and could not see the turtle anywhere. He felt hot and tired and decided to stop and take a short nap. Even if the turtle passed him, he would be able to race to the finish line ahead of him. All this time the turtle kept walking step by step by step …(40). He never quit no matter how hot or tired he got. He just kept going.
However, the rabbit slept …(41) than he had thought and woke up. He could not see the turtle anywhere! He went at full-speed to the finish line but found the turtle there waiting for him.
- A. Rabbit
- A. surely
- A. well
The text is for questions 42 – 45
If Superman is basically a stronger, more flight-enable version of a regular man, then a supercell is basically a stronger, more tornado-enabled version of a regular storm cell. This is because – much like tornadoes – supercells have the tendency to spin around a lot, but also – and more importantly- because supercells can actually create tornadoes. If you remember one thing after reading this article, let it be this: stay away from things that can do that.
In case it needed to be mentioned, supercells are the most dangerous of the four strom types, in addition to being the scariest to look at. Luckily, they’re also the rarest and tend to be confined to the central United States during the springtime. If you ever happen to come across one, whenever you are, just remember the advice you got previously, move in the other direction.
- What does the text tell you about?
- What does paragraph 2 tell you about?
A. Tornadoes are the most amazing storms to look at.
B. Tornadoes are the most dangerous storm in the world.
C. Supercells are the most scaring storms of the other ones.
D. Supercells are different storms in the central United States.
- What should you do if you happen to come across the supercells?
A. Take the other direction.
B. Come and visit the storm.
C. Watch the amazing storm.
D. Go straight ahead to the storm.
- How often do supercells occur in the United States?
For questions 46 – 48 choose the best words to complete the following text
– 4 eggs
– 3 medium-sized tomatoes
– 1 onion
– 2 tablespoons of oil
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 teaspoon of pepper
– Slice the onion and the tomatoes
– Fry the sliced onion in a little oil in the frying …(46) until light brown before adding the tomatoes. Fry them in two minutes.
– Add salt and pepper to taste.
– …(47) aside on a plate for a few minutes.
– Take four eggs and beat them …(48) in a bowl with a fork for two minutes.
– Heat the oil in a frying pan
– Pour the eggs which have been beaten in.
– After a minute, put the onion and tomatoes and the mixture in the centre.
– Fold the rest of the omelets into two before taking it out of the frying pan.
– Serve it with chips or salad.
- A. pan
- A. set
C. to set
- A. fully
- Rearrange the words into a good sentence
the sea – the eggs – once – to – were – the female – covered – returns
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The best arrangement is …
- Rearrange the jumbled sentences into a good order
- It is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504 Buddha statues.
- It is located in Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia.
- The monument comprises six square platforms topped by three circular platforms.
- Borobudur is a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist monument.
- A main dome is located at the centre of the top platform.
- It is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues seated inside perforated stupa.
The best arrangement is …